New Hampshire Department of Justice
New Hampshire Department of Justice - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

News Release

For Immediate Release
October 22, 2011

Jeffery A. Strelzin, Senior Assistant Attorney General
Chief, Homicide Unit
Susan G. Morrell, Senior Assistant Attorney General
at the Pelham Police Department: (603) 635-2411
at the Attorney General's Office: (603) 271-3671

Officer Involved Shooting Incident in Pelham, New Hampshire

New Hampshire Attorney General Michael A. Delaney, New Hampshire State Police Colonel Robert Quinn, and Pelham Police Chief Joseph Roark, announce that an investigation is ongoing into an officer-involved shooting incident. The incident took place in the road outside a residence at 14 Hobbs Road in Pelham, New Hampshire at approximately 5:25 a.m. this morning.

The incident began when police officers in Lowell Massachusetts responded to a domestic assault situation at about 3:30 a.m. in Lowell, Massachusetts. That domestic assault situation is being investigated by the Lowell Massachusetts Police Department. To date, the investigation has revealed that the adult male involved in that domestic situation eventually fled in his car towards New Hampshire. He was pursued by several police officers from multiple agencies into Pelham, New Hampshire, where he was forced to stop on Rte. 38 in Pelham. Officers on the scene attempted to convince the male subject to surrender peacefully. Instead, the male subject stepped out of his car armed with a handgun. The police continued to talk to the male subject and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get him to surrender. The male subject did not surrender or drop his handgun. He got back into his car and drove off of Rte. 38 down onto Hobbs Road in Pelham. An unmarked police cruiser forcibly stopped the male subject's car in front of 14 Hobbs Road. The male stepped out of his car, armed with a handgun. Shortly after that, the male subject advanced towards several police officers while making statements to them and armed with a handgun. As the man continued to advance on the officers with his handgun, several officers from multiple agencies fired at the man, hitting and killing him.

One of the responding police officers suffered damage to his ear as a result of the gunfire. No other officers or civilians were injured. The deceased male subject has been identified as Alberto Pagan, age 21, of Dracut, Massachusetts. An autopsy will be done on the deceased on Sunday, October 23, 2011, to determine his exact cause and manner of death.

The investigation is still on going.

New Hampshire Department of Justice | 33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658