New Hampshire Department of Justice
New Hampshire Department of Justice - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

News Release

For Immediate Release
September 24, 2010

Senior Assistant Attorney General James Boffetti
Consumer Protection & Antitrust Bureau
(603) 271-3643

Munce's Superior Petroleum Products, Inc.

Attorney General Michael A. Delaney announced that the Merrimack County Superior Court has granted, in part, the State's request for a preliminary injunction against Munce's Superior Petroleum Products. The State filed its petition upon learning that Munce's owes the State of New Hampshire, Department of Safety, in excess of $400,000, and has recently bounced checks. The State's investigation determined that Munce's had entered into prepaid contracts for heating oil with consumers totaling approximately $140,000.00. The Attorney General's Office became concerned that Munce's will not be able to pay for heating oil for which consumers had already prepaid. Moreover, the Attorney General's investigation determined that the total net amount of funds contained in all of the company's bank accounts was approximately $84,000.00 which is an amount far short of what the company has obtained from consumers pursuant to prepaid contracts for heating oil.

In its September 21, 2010 order, the Court prohibited Munce's from entering into further oil prepayment contracts and required Munce's to post security in the amount of $140,000 to ensure that the contracts it has already entered into with consumers are fulfilled.

Attorney General Delaney said, "As this year's heating season fast approaches, my office continues to act on behalf of consumers to ensure that those people who have entered into prepaid contracts for home heating oil receive what they have paid for. My office will continue to work to protect New Hampshire consumers against any business which may take advantage of them by obtaining prepayment for goods or services not delivered."

Consumers who have complaints may file a complaint electronically by logging onto and clicking on "Filing a Consumer Complaint". Consumers can also call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-888-468-4454 and request that a complaint form be mailed to them.

New Hampshire Department of Justice | 33 Capitol Street | Concord, NH | 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658